“Spread Awareness, Stop Resistance”
Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Awareness Week is November 18-24, 2021.
Lumos Diagnostics is excited to support the initiatives being led by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and we’re happy to share this information from those organizations with you. Please see our “Helpful Resources” section for additional information.
Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Awareness Week is an annual one-week observance that aims to raise awareness of the importance of appropriate antibiotic use to combat the threat of antibiotic resistance.
Antibiotics are medicines used to prevent and treat bacterial infections. Antibiotics can save lives, but any time antibiotics are used, they can cause side effects and contribute to the development of antibiotic resistance. Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change in response to the use of these medicines.
- World Health Organization- https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-antimicrobial-awareness-week/2021
- Center for Disease Control- https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/week/index.html
- European Public Health- https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en/about
- Campaigns from Around the World- https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en/aboutpartners/campaigns-around-world
- Journal Article: “Novel point-of-care biomarker combination tests to differentiate acute bacterial from viral respiratory tract infections to guide antibiotic prescribing: a systematic review” https://www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(21)00257-3/fulltext
- Journal Article: “Antibiotic overprescribing: Still a major concern” https://www.frontlinemedcom.com/wp-content/uploads/AntibioticOverprescribing_JFP_Dec2017.pdf
- Urgent Care Association- Antibiotic Stewardship Page https://www.ucaoa.org/Resources/Antibiotic-Stewardship